Born 1957, Asheville, North Carolina
“Paintings communicate to us from a place that is not seen but felt. It is a reflection of our inner life. What I enjoy about painting pictures, is the ability to create a world never before seen, a place with its own rules, values and characters. The elements in my paintings are based on real world objects; trees, flowers, animals, people, etc. What excites me as an artist is combining these elements and presenting them to the viewer in a way that makes them stop and wonder, “What is going on here?” There is an implied narrative in my paintings and the viewer is free to interpret the story as they choose. I have always felt it is the artist’s job to depict an alternative way of looking at the world, to offer a window into possible realities and emotional states. As a person I am attracted to those absurd moments in life that offer a sense of clarity. Those brief occasions that occur where you see the world anew. When I paint I attempt to convey that emotional state to the viewer.
1979 BFA University of South Carolina, Columbia
1982 MFA University of Georgia, Athens
2011 The Arts Company, Charles Keiger: Inside Out, September 3 – October 15, Nashville TN TEW TOP 25 – Works that Express the Gallery Aesthetic, TEW Galleries, Atlanta, GA
2010 TEW Galleries, Charles Keiger, Solo, Gallery II, Atlanta, GA
2009 The Arts Company, Nashville, TN. Charles Keiger “The Art of the Book.”
Charles Keiger, Olena Zvyagintseva, May 2009, TEW Galleries, Atlanta, GA
2008 Gallery Walk at Terminus, Blooming, Curated by Ann Lambert Tracht
2007 TEW Charles Keiger & Kimo Minton, TEW Galleries, Atlanta, GA
2007 TEW 20th Anniversary Exhibition, TEW Galleries, Atlanta, GA
Keiger, Gorman, Richter, Hahn Ross Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
2006 Charles Keiger, Chuck Bowdish, Stephen Olivier, TEW Galleries, Atlanta GA
2005 Charles Keiger, Jonathan Sobol, Otto Neumann Galerie Timothy Tew
2004 Solo Exhibition, Cole Pratt Gallery, New Orleans, LA
• Nashville Arts Magazine, September 2011. Cover photo and Spotlight, “The Arts Company Presents Inside Out: New Paintings by Charles Keiger.”
• “Charles Keiger, In the Realm of Possibility,” Nashville Arts Magazine, October 2009, pgs.19-21, by Katie Sulkowski. Charles Keiger’s painting “Blackberries” is featured on the front cover of the October, 2009 issue of Nashville Arts Magazine.
• “American Gothic: Charles Keiger puts the drama in painting.” Creative Loafing, March 3-March 9, 2005 pg. 46, Felicia Feaster.
• “Our Picks: Top Emerging Artists”, Art & Antiques, February 2005, Edward M. Gomez.
• “Neat Things on View Around Town”, Atlanta Journal Constitution, 2003, Catherine Fox
• New American Paintings, 2002/2003 Southern Competition Winner, Boston, MA
• “Places of Their Own”, Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles, September 2002, Suzanne Wright
• “Charles Keiger” Women in the Arts, Winter 2000, by Omnese Campbell
• “At Timothy Tew, a Trio of Outlooks” Atlanta Journal Constitution, 2000, Jerry Cullum
• “Balancing Act, The Art of Charles Keiger” Museums and Galleries, Atlanta, March/April 1997, cover, page 18-19.
• “Subtle Touches Render Plants A Powerful Subject For Study” Atlanta Journal Constitution, 1993, Jerry Cullum